Saturday, April 18, 2015

Parlor Doorway Widening

I went back and forth on whether to widen the Parlor doorway. In the end I decided to do it because there are several other doorways that have been widened to 6'.



I'm really glad that I decided to do this because one of the main studs was almost completely turned to power by termites. It's no longer an active infestation but the damage has been done.




I cut the opening for the new entryway.


I checked the studs and found that even though they are load bearing there was no weight on them, so I cut them to height.


I then built a header beam out of some of the old 2x8's and 1x6's cut to fit. I also used the good main stud that I cut out in the place of the one that was damaged.


It makes a huge difference! I love the openness.

No comments:

Post a Comment