Friday, March 27, 2015

Office and Dining Room Floors

I went back and forth for a while on whether I should pull up the floors in the Dining Room and Office. The early 1900's heart pine floors were very pretty and it would be a lot less work, but if I left them there would be a lip between the Dining Room and the hall. In the end I decided to pull them up and I'm glad I did for a number of reasons, the biggest being that there was not a lot of meat left on them and sanding them would most likely have caused them to split.






These are the floors in the Office, which we have begun calling the Christmas room because of the red and green alternating floor boards.

I sanded a small area and wet it to get an idea of what it would look like, The color is a bit off but it's enough to see how red it is, I'm wondering if they are Cedar.



An interesting discovery I made while working in the office is the original walls. Sometime in the Victorian era they built another wall next to the original to make pocket doors (which are gone of course). I pulled off the trim that covered the opening and found out that the original walls were wide plank wood, each board is at least 10" wide.


No comments:

Post a Comment