Thursday, July 23, 2015

Floors - Post 2 - Poly

With the sanding and puttying complete I began to poly the floors. For the first coat I used gloss poly and satin for the next two coats. This gives the floor more depth but still has a satin finish.

The first thing to get poly was the original rear door threshold. this goes between the main hall and the rear hall. The rear hall was at one time a porch.


I then started in the dining room.


First coat down in the sunroom.


First coat in the dining room.




The rear hall has newer yellow pine flooring. I stained it to match the color of the cypress. Here is the the coat of stain after it was applied. You can see the threshold sitting in the foreground, it is not in place in the pic.



Second coat of poly in the dining room and office.





Looking into the rear hall with a coat of stain and a coat of poly. I think the color matches pretty well. The stain is Minwax Red Chestnut.


Sunroom second coat.



Third coat going down.



This pic shows the wear in the floors that I didn't want to lose by sanding. There's a lot of character yet the floor is perfectly smooth, you can slide on it in your socks and not worry about splinters.









I wanted to put more than three coats down but I had been working on the floors for so long that I decided three was enough.

Up next is refinishing the master bedroom floor and upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment