Sunday, July 12, 2015

Floors - Post 1 - Sanding

We will eventually be rebuilding the chimneys in the office (Original kitchen) and Dining Room but for now I needed to put some wood down to cover up the hole. these are pics of the Dining Room fireplace. The mantle is from a house near Tyrone, GA that was destroyed by a tornado about 10 years ago.




Then I began what would become an extremely long process of sanding the floors. I started in the office. The first pic is a before shot.





After one pass with the drum sander.


Here is the main hall.


After one pass.


Here is the parlor, unfortunately I could not save the faux grain paint on the floor. I just couldn't match up the color. the paint gummed up the sandpaper pretty badly.


Here is the dining room after one pass.


The floors are heart cypress. Cypress is a softwood but after almost 160 years they have become petrified and are extremely hard. I had to do many passes on a complete 90 degrees to the grain just to get down in the dips.

I don't want to sand the floor perfectly level, I want to leave some of the wear in the floor, I just want to make sure it's smooth.

First pass in the Sunroom. The flooring in here is white oak, Oak is a hardwood but it was much easier to sand than the cypress.


Fourth pass on the dining room floor. It's starting to look good.


Looking from the office (original kitchen) into the dining room and the sunroom beyond.


View from the sunroon looking into the dining room and the office beyond.


Dining room floor.


Looking from the main hall into the dining room with the sunroom beyond.


Now that the sanding is done I need to fill in the nail holes in the parlor, main hall, dining room, and office. All of these rooms had flooring nailed on top of it. I contemplated using sawdust from the sanding mixed with poly but i didnt like the results so I am using Elmers Probond wood filler in cherry stain.

This is the parlor floor, this pic gives you a good idea of all the holes I need to fill.


Putting the putty down in the main hall.




Putting putty down in the dining room.


Parlor.


In the next post I will be putting down the poly.

1 comment:

  1. Dude...you worked your ass off...and it shows. BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete